Thank you to all who participated in the 2019 Your Big Idea for a Sustainable Minnesota video contest. We are no longer accepting applications at this time.
2019 Video Contest
A partnership between District Energy St. Paul and the St. Paul Saints to promote sustainability and storytelling through student videos.
- Submissions are due by May 17, 2019.
- Contest finalists will be announced on May 31, 2019.
- Winners to be announced at the St. Paul Saints game at CHS Field on June, 8 2019.
- First prize is $5000 for the winning school.
Creating Videos that Tell a Sustainability Story
Students, we want you to share your voice and your vision for a better Minnesota and a better planet! This is a broad topic and submissions on many aspects of sustainability are welcome, including renewable energy, food, climate change, clean air, clean water, parks and open space, transit and transportation, and innovation and technology development.
Why Share Your Vision for Sustainability?
Help others in your community and in your state better understand your vision for a healthier environment. Submissions will be judged by their ability to educate and engage others on these topics,with all forms of storytelling welcome (think speech, acting, song, animation, and more!)
Students should consider:
- Will this inspire others?
- Will the audience gain a better understanding of why sustainability is important?
- Will my big idea or innovation help my community be more sustainable?
- Step 1: Upload your video to YouTube.
- Step 2: Complete a submission form, and include a link to your YouTube video.
Both the form and the video must be received by 5:00 PM on May 17, 2019.
- The first prize winner will receive a $5000 donation to their school.
- The second prize winner will receive a $1000 donation to their school.
- The third prize winner will receive a $500 donation to their school.
District Energy St. Paul encourages the schools to use this funding to enhance and emphasize environmental and sustainability programming within the school.
- Students from Minnesota schools, enrolled in grades 6-12 are eligible to compete.
- Each school district is eligible to win one (single) award.
- A team is defined as the group of students listed on the submission form, who are wholly responsible for the development of the video content. Assistance from, and overlap of, teacher and staff participation is accepted.
- All entrants must complete the contest submission form. Students must have the approval of their school to enter, which can be validated on the form.
- All content must be original. Unauthorized use of copyrighted materials will result in disqualification.
- Additional information on eligibility is in the complete contest rules.
- The video must be 3 minutes or less.
- The video content must be original.
- The video cannot use unauthorized copyrighted material.
- All video content must be appropriate as defined by contest rules.
- The video entry must be signed off on by the submitter’s school.
See the Contest Rules and Submission Guidelines for complete information on requirements.
Judging and Selection Process
As noted in the timeline, submissions are due by May 17, 2019. District Energy will review submissions for eligibility and alignment with the contest and select 3 finalists. Finalists will be invited to the St. Paul Saints game at CHS Field on June 8, 2019.
Prior to the game, finalists and their guests are invited to gather for a pregame picnic. 25 tickets will be provided to the finalist schools to be used for the video submission team, their family, and associated faculty and staff. The winner will be announced prior to the start of the game.
Email Nina Axelson with any questions.