Thank you to all who were excited about our 2020 video contest. We recognize that the current focus for students, teachers, and families is adapting to new circumstances. To that end, we will be cancelling this year’s contest to ensure that those who are learning and teaching can focus on staying safe and healthy.
Video Contest 2020
A partnership between District Energy St. Paul and the St. Paul Saints to promote sustainability and storytelling through student videos.
- Submissions are due by April 16, 2020.
- Contest finalists will be announced on May 15, 2020.
- Winners to be announced by June 6th, 2020.
- First prize is $5000 for the winning school.
- Our team will be updating a questions and answers page to help students and teachers as they develop their submissions. If you have questions, submit them to Nina.Axelson@districtenergy.com. This page will be updated weekly.
Contest page navigation
Creating Videos that Tell a Sustainability Story
Students, we want you to share your voice and your vision for a sustainable Minnesota and a better planet! This is a broad topic and submissions on all aspects of sustainability are welcome, including renewable energy, food, climate change, clean air, clean water, parks and open space, transit and transportation, and innovation and technology development.
Why Share Your Vision for Sustainability?
Help others in your community and in your state better understand your vision for a healthier environment. Submissions will be judged by their ability to educate and engage others on these topics with all forms of storytelling welcome (think speech, acting, song, animation, and more!)
Students should consider:
- Will this inspire others?
- Will the audience gain a better understanding of why sustainability is important?
- Will my big idea or innovation help my community be more sustainable?
- Step 1: Upload your video to YouTube.
- Step 2: Complete a submission form and include a link to your YouTube video.
Both the form and the video must be received by 5:00 PM on April 16, 2020.
- The first prize winner will receive a $5000 donation to their school.
- The second prize winner will receive a $1000 donation to their school.
- The third prize winner will receive a $500 donation to their school.
District Energy St. Paul encourages the schools to use this funding to enhance and emphasize environmental and sustainability programming within the school.
- Students from Minnesota schools, enrolled in grades 6-12 are eligible to compete.
- Each school district is eligible to win one (single) award.
- A team is defined as the group of students listed on the submission form, who are wholly responsible for the development of the video content. Assistance from, and overlap of, teacher and staff participation is accepted.
- Additional information on eligibility is in the complete contest rules.
- The video must be 3 minutes or less.
- The video content must be original.
- The video cannot use unauthorized copyrighted material.
- All video content must be appropriate as defined by contest rules.
- The video entry must be signed off on by the entrant’s school, which can be validated on the form.
- All entrants must complete the contest submission form.
See the Contest Rules and Submission Guidelines for complete information on requirements.
Judging and Selection Process
As noted in the timeline, submissions are due by April 16, 2020. District Energy will review submissions for eligibility and alignment with the contest and select three finalists. Finalists will be invited to the St. Paul Saints game at CHS Field on June 6, 2020. The winner will be determined by a panel of judges selected by District Energy.
25 tickets will be provided to the finalist schools to be used for the video submission team, their family, and associated faculty and staff. Finalists will be involved in pregame activities.
Email Nina Axelson with any questions.